December 22, 2010

MUSIC TO MY EARS

 
                Before I was a French teacher, I was a music teacher, and before that, I was a classical musician. Classical piano, more specifically, earning my Royal Conservatory of Toronto performance certification before going to university and then studying piano at UVic. I do not have a piano at my place and I rarely play when I visit my folks (my piano rests at their home), but undeniably, the classical-musician side of me peeks through every day. Over the past few weeks I have indulged in some classical-music-listening that often reminds me of Christmas. I saw this piece performed when I lived in Victoria by a university choir who sung at the downtown church, and I was left speechless. To this day I get goosebumps every time I listen to it. Voila: Eric Whitacre’s Sleep, conducted by himself.



           Hopefully that song gives you chills, or at least ignites some warm holiday spirit inside you. But if you are not the classical, choral music style of person, I give you a list of my preferred seasonal tracks. Some depict the festive season, some sing about winter, and others are just lovely. Enjoy!

The Arcade Fire – Neighborhood #1 Tunnels
Band of Horses – The First Song
Band of Skulls – Cold Fame
The Chemical Brothers – Snow
David Gray – This Year’s Love
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – Carries On
Fleet Foxes – White Winter Hymnal
Fleet Foxes – Heard Them Stirring
Mumford & Sons – After The Storm
The National – Green Gloves
The National - England
Patrick Watson – The Great Escape
Radiohead – Nude
Spoon – Goodnight Laura
Stereophonics – Caravan Holiday
The Swell Season – Low Rising
Vampire Weekend – Horchata
The Weepies – Antarctica

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...